Friday, March 1, 2013

Un-paper towels

Lately, I've been trying to do more things at home to be both more environmentally friendly as well as cost effective.  We've been trying to buy healthier foods and using homemade household cleaners to reduce chemicals.  My latest project (probably fueled by my following of the crunchy cloth diapering community) was to make cute un-paper towels that I could wash and reuse in the kitchen rather than just going through tons of paper towels every week.  My mom thinks I should have just bought some wash cloths and been done with it, but I was looking for something more fun and cuter.  I bought two patterns of flannel and some white terry cloth.  I cut them into rectangles, pulled out my sewing machine, and viola, a great, greener option for cleaning up my boys!
All the pieces cut out and ready to go
Pair them up, good side together and pin

Sew around the edge, leaving a gap to turn them right side out

Flip right side out through the gap
Iron to smooth out


Finishing stitch around the edge to close the gap and make it look more complete


First one done!

Here's the second pattern I did (never took a pic of all the froggy ones together)

No comments:

Post a Comment